Monday, February 26, 2007

Buddy, the Knitting Needle tester


Buddy, our latest Border Collie Rescue foster dog, continues to prove a challenge. He's VERY active and very smart, even by BC standards. Complicated by deafness, so he doesn't hear "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Bad Boy!!!!".. He does, however, know the scowling face that goes with the funny lip movements and that's his signal to turn his head side to side, like he's thinking "I know she's trying to tell me something, but really, these people just can't be trained how to speak. Sad, isn't it?"

Today Buddy's mission was to find & test out the strength of 3 different brands of knitting needles. You will see in the pics a AddiTurbo circular ("very soft metal, kinda squishy like a hotdog"), an old, not made anymore, Brittany (" Easy! snaps in half just like a dog cookie!"), and a custom needle, handmade, with a beautiful ceramic bead on the top ("this one was pretty strong but I managed to get it mostly broken. Will have to try again later after I knaw on this bone for a while to build up my strength.")

This occupied him for about 30 minutes. Telling him NOOOOOOOO means he will NOT go back & chew on that particular needle. However, as I have not yet told him NOOOOOOO about any OTHER thing in the house, the entire premises is open for the Buddy-Testing-Lab. Of course, he left the cheap-o Susan Bates plastic needles completely alone. He's got good taste in needles....

3 comments:

The Woolley Farm said...

buddy is such a wild boy!

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I think Buddy should meet Muffy the Yarnslayer. Just think if she introduced him to the delights of reprocessing your own yarn (well it's your own if you can (a) find it and (b) get it away underneath a cupboard before Mum discovers what you've done.

Unknown said...

Hi Folks,

I am Buddy's (now Murray) mom. Murray has been with us since 3/7/2007 when we met him at the Woolley Farm and he is just a love. Words fails me to describe what a "wise old soul" he has become. Murray is about to go to the Rainbow Bridge and my husband and I have broken hearts. He has given us so much love over the last ten + years that I just hope we have been worthy of such a spirited, smart, and loving dog.

Thank you for taking care of Murray before we fell in love with him!

Nancy Kominkiewicz and Bob Rigby